Mark E. Burkland
Attorney, Elrod Friedman LLP
About Mark Burkland
Mark Burkland has represented state agencies, municipalities, counties, park districts, other public bodies, and private entities on general governance issues, land use and zoning projects, intergovernmental relationships, and related matters. Mark’s experience includes work on personnel matters, contracts, and other every-day matters. His experience also includes defense of clients in many complex lawsuits in federal and state courts. Mark also has represented corporate entities, property owners, and developers in transactions of many types.
Mark currently serves as Village Attorney for the Village of Arlington Heights, Village Attorney for the Village of La Grange, General Counsel for the Park District of Oak Park, and outside counsel for the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority.
Mark is regularly engaged in matters like these:
- Counseling public officials on myriad topics and situations, from simple to complex
- Attending meetings of corporate bodies and their commissions and boards.
- Drafting and negotiating settlement agreements and intergovernmental agreements between public bodies and between public and private entities
- Preparing development agreements, easement agreements, and many other documents related to land use projects, infrastructure improvements, contracts, tax matters, and other subjects
- Litigation in federal and state courts
- Lecturing to attorneys and laypersons on constitutional principals and civics topics
Mark serves as counsel to charitable and religious entities. He also has taught classes on various topics in Chicago Public School 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade classrooms regularly for more than 25 years.
Before entering into private practice, Mark served for two years as a law clerk for the Honorable William J. Bauer, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D. honors, Articles Editor Illinois Law Review
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, BA Journalism honors
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District, Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association Edward J Lewis Lawyers in the Classroom Program
- Housing Forward—ending homelessness
- Urban Land Institute, Public Private Partnership National Product Council (former)